Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Evolution of an Art Fair Booth and Design Tips


There was so much I didn't know when I started doing art fairs and one was where to start when creating a booth. It was overwhelming. I needed a tent, displays, weights - the list went on and on! I called a friend for advise (we used to do trade shows together) and she made the comment "you were responsible for a 20x120 foot booth and you can't do a 10x10?!" Yes.. I used to be involved with trade shows for a major collectible company, but somehow creating a booth for "me" was daunting!  

I ordered a tent and started to build my booth and I am sharing some photos of how my booth has changed over the years. I was really happy with my first booth however it took manpower to assemble since I was using heavy tables and lots of props. I quickly learned it was not the way to go. Then I had an "ah-ha" moment when I attended a seminar and we could submit slides of our work and booth for a critique and how a jury may score us. I anxiously waited for my turn. Then the slides went up. My work looked great, however even I shuttered looking at the photo of my booth. The person running the seminar struggled to find some positive things to say. I was crushed to say the least.

My very first booth. Yikes!

I thought this was an improvement. This one never made it to the shows!

After the workshop I approached the instructor and said "is there anything I can salvage from my booth?" and I got some great advise. She said my booth looked like I should be selling leather. My work is light and delicate and the booth was heavy and dark. The work and the booth were disconnected and it was so obvious but I didn't see it. Sometimes we get too close to our own work and can't see the flaws.  So... with 3 weeks until my first show applications were due I had to rebuild an entire booth! It was the holidays and the Christmas tree stayed outside because my living room became my "workshop" while I built my booth. I tossed everything out and started from scratch.

I bought folding bookcases for "cases" and used mirrors as the top. The mirror works well with glass jewelry. Yep, they are heavy but worth it. I lightened it up and made neck forms that went with the color scheme (however, they were lightweight and "flew" in the wind). I liked the etegere that I thought highlighted my best sellers as people walked by, but after watching how people shopped I realized no one ever bought anything from it! It was a pain to put together and I had to zip tie it to the poles for stability so I used it for a year and then ditched it. I set up my display in the traditional "L" shape where I stood behind the counter, but in the last couple of years I have changed that too. It is hard to tell from the photo below, but I bought glass shelving that I use to create levels and interest. It was an improvement, but there were more changes to come.

A major improvement but still not there!
This is my current booth. I decided to open it up so I could work with customers. I felt that I was putting a barrier between me and my clients when I stood behind the counter. It has several "stations" and ways to draw people into the booth. The best sellers are on the aisle to catch their attention and then they are drawn into the booth and  the pieces in the back. This gets customers off the aisle and a cozy place to shop. There is also an area with a mirror above where I can work with customers but others still have access to me. It has a nice flow and seems to work well. I have a poster on the wall that shows the process of how to make the beads. Having it large on the wall works well visually, but also when I am describing and pointing to the photos others in the booth stop to listen. I love interacting with customers and educating them on the process so I have found this to work well!

My booth from last season. I think I am happy with it.. this year I need lights!




So I have come along way since that first attempt at a booth. It is a process and I continually watch how people shop, listen to comments, make sure my best sellers are moving, etc. I am constantly re-merchandising at a show by how items are moving.. or not. It is my "store" for the weekend and I love it! I also learned merchandising and enhanced my sales skills by working at a boutique part time. The experience has been priceless!




10 Tips for Designing your Booth:
  • Purchase the best tent you can afford
  • Make sure your booth enhances your work and is appropriate for your target customer
  • Display on multiple levels to keep the eye moving and add interest
  • Make sure your display pieces don't overpower your work - less is more!
  • Floor covering goes a long way - if it is "cushy" people tend to shop longer
  • Use your walls and corners
  • Wall coverings can make your booth cozy and also blocks out the beating sun!
  • Merchandise your pieces based on how customers shop (I display by color palette)
  • Lighting - if you sell jewelry it is beneficial to invest in lighting - especially on those cloudy days
  • Watch your customers and improve as you go. It's a process.

Yes this all fits in my 2-door Honda!!

And I close with one final comment... weights, weights, weights! You need to have the appropriate weights to be safe in storms (and there WILL be storms!). Even if it is a sunny day, put your weights on. You never know when the wind will pick up and a storm will suddenly come out of nowhere! It is as much for your safety as your neighbors. You don't want your tent blowing into your neighbor and damaging work! I learned this lesson and fortunately it was not at a show. I was taking a booth shot in my backyard and a little breeze came by. I watched my tent levitate and topple into the house. I built new heavy weights that week.

I'd love to hear from you if you have any additional tips! Just leave me a comment.



15 comments:

  1. Around here you can not set up a booth without heavy weights. They will send you home. Your final booth is stunning. So light and elegant and inviting and amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth!
      Artist that are new to shows don't realize how easily a booth can "fly" even the heavy duty ones! I was at a show and the booth across from me flew in the air, over another one, and landed on top of another booth (and it wasn't an ez-up doing the flying!). Plus it is important to know how to attach your weights for maximum effect.

      Delete
  2. The evolution is amazing and the final result excellent. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks... it has come along way and it probably isn't the last version!

      Delete
  3. The booth looks great! hard to believe all that evolution fits into the 2 door Honda.... Did I mention your designs are superb : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Dabanga! Yes... it all fits and is a puzzle so everything has to go back in the same way. When I do large trade shows the guys on the dock are always amazed! And thanks for your kind words on my work too! That also has been an "evolution".

      Delete
  4. Hi! I love your final booth shot. It is light and airy, yet warm and inviting. Could you please tell me a bit about the tables in the final two shots? Are those the folding bookcases you mentioned? If so, how do you secure the mirrors to the top?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments! The counters (tables) are folding bookcases which also give me storage space. The frames actually sit on the top pretty well. I used heavy mirror when I built the frames so they would be more durable. Two of the frames in the back are hinged to give one solid surface. And my mode of attaching them... well, I was going to put eye hooks to attach them but never got around to it so I use clear duct tape in the back! The one thing to keep in mind is not having a big overhang in the front so if someone leans on them they aren't a tipping hazard (securing them in the back will resolve that). Keep in mind all the types of customers that will come through your booth and what requirements you need... like wheel chairs, kids, etc. Feel free to post a pic of your booth!

      Delete
  5. Hi there! Love this!
    Could you tell me about your floors? I have been searching everywhere for something affordable and that can stand a lot of traffic

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! I love your set up! It looks great.
    Could you share a bit more about the flooring? What did you use and did it stand up to high traffic?
    I have been searching high and low for something affordable and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks April! My rug is from Frontgate and it has last 10 years! However looking back at booth shots it is showing it's age. There are all types of options and this is a good time to find some outdoor rugs because they are usually on sale. I have seen some really nice bamboo ones and my neighbor this weekend had a lightweight rug that was made out of woven plastic material that doesn't "hold water" if it rains. That is the only downside of some of the outdoor rugs... they can be heavy when they get wet, and they will get wet! Also keep in mind the "tripping hazard" of floorings and make sure it is something that will work on various elements including grass, concrete, etc. There are so many creative options! And just keep in mind that anything you use should not distract from your work. I've seen some people use ones that your eye goes to their rug and tends to be distracting. Just let me know if you have any other questions. I'll try to find the source for the one my neighbor had.

      Delete
  7. Hi Donna
    Love the transformation. How did you secure the fabric around the tables?
    Also what is holding the glass shelves up on the tables.
    thanks for sharing
    donna thome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna... thanks! I used to use velcro to attach the fabric, but with time it wasn't very secure so I use a staple gun! That way I can get it tight and it holds up in wind and rain. Probably not the best solution and I end up having to remove staples but it works for me. There are all types of solutions depending on what you are attaching it to. A little creativity goes a long way. Just think of the elements (weather) when you are designing it. I use glass blocks (like the florist uses) as risers. But again... anything goes! I also use candle sticks which you can get at the $1 store so if you break one it isn't a big investment. Again, my rule is to use glass shelves and items that are pretty heavy and a little bump isn't going to break it. It needs to be sturdy enough for a lot of packing and unpacking and heavy enough that a big gust of wind isn't going to blow it over! Just let me know if you have any other questions. It's always a good idea to walk shows to get some ideas and now with Pinterest there is a ton of inspiration.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful Booth. As you wanted, it's inviting.

    ReplyDelete